8 Foods That Are Poisonous to Dogs

As a dog owner, you know that at any opportunity to eat anything left on the floor or table they will grab it! Whilst it may be harmless to us humans, to your beloved dog it could be dangerous. 

Wondering whether to share your food with your dog for a treat, see our list below of foods to avoid sharing!

Onions, Garlic & Chives

The family of foods that includes onions can hurt your dog. While symptoms may not appear right away and may take a few days to manifest, consuming foods like onions, garlic, or chives can cause stomach ache and red blood cell destruction.


Chocolate, which is high in theobromine, can be harmful to your dog. The largest concentration of this is found in dark chocolate, and any excess of theobromine can result in renal failure!

Giving Dog Food


Avocados contain persin, which can make dogs throw up and have diarrhoea. Not just the avocado itself, but also the fruit’s leaves and seeds, contain this.


Compared to people, your dog will be significantly more susceptible to the effects of ethanol, and even a small amount might have serious consequences. Dogs can experience tiredness, lose their balance, and occasionally experience low blood sugar, seizures, or even a comatose state, just like humans.

Artificial Sweetener

In America, xylitol is more frequently seen in food products, but it is starting to show up in sugar-free goods in the UK as well. An otherwise healthy dog’s blood sugar can decrease dangerously quickly from xylitol, and greater doses can even result in liver failure.

Grapes and Raisins 

A toxin found in grapes and raisins has the potential to harm dogs’ livers and kidneys. Furthermore, raisins can be found in a variety of our favourite dishes, like cereal and biscuits.


Dogs lack the quantities of lactase that humans do, hence they are unable to break down the lactose contained in milk. Diarrhoea and other stomach troubles may result from this.

Macadamia Nuts

A component in macadamia nuts can have a variety of negative effects on your dog. From muscle weakness or edema to hypothermia.

What to do if you think your dog has eaten something it shouldn’t

If you believe your dog has consumed something potentially hazardous or poisonous, call your vet at once. Never intentionally make your dog ill because this could end up doing more harm than good.